The Secondary Hawaiian Language Teacher shall teach the Hawaiian language to middle and high school students. Main functions include but are not limited to: 1) develops and delivers lessons that reflect solid understanding and implementation of successful western and Hawaiian culture-based educational practices, and 2) outlines clear learning objectives and aligns assessments to the curriculum in order to measure progress. In addition to the classroom, uses traditional learning contexts — such as lo’i kalo, loko i’a, wa’a, kai — to create relevant and meaningful learning experiences for students. Establishes a safe, nurturing learning environment centered on Hawaiian values with high expectations for learning. Monitors and responds to student behavior effectively, and manages classroom procedures to effectively utilize instructional time.
Primary responsibility shall be the instruction of students. Instruction shall include student guidance, discipline, welfare, and safety as well as effective teaching of the assigned subjects. In addition, the teacher shall:
• Plan for student success based on assessed needs of individual students and the use of data to determine each student’s current knowledge and skill level and to measure progress.
• Demonstrate empathy, rapport, objectivity, and listening skills. The teacher will work collaboratively with other teachers and support staff in addressing the needs of students.
• Regularly conduct planning for lessons using commonly accepted professional practice (content, goals, assessment, re-teaching, etc.).
• Maintain and provide reasonable and meaningful student grading and evaluation and communicate such information to students and parents.
• Actively participate in faculty and grade level or department meetings, assist building efforts to plan, budget, implement, and evaluate the school’s program and to do related work as required. In carrying out these responsibilities, the teacher will follow school policy and procedures, standard practices, and approved curriculum, and will actively and positively support the school vision.
• Be observant of the needs and challenges of students and will promptly report to an administrator or other designated person when the teacher suspects or reasonably believes that a student is at risk or in danger due to such issues as bullying, sexual harassment/misconduct, depression or suicide ideation, or academic failure.
• Assist in identifying and in complying with teaching and learning and student accommodation requirements under Individual Education Plans (IEP) and 504 accommodation requirements.
• Establish a professional growth plan and annually review the plan and progress with the administrator.
• Appropriate Certification.
• Successful completion of a teacher certification program at an accredited college or university.
• Successful completion of highly qualified (“HQ”) criteria including praxis requirements for subject area(s) taught.
• Successful student teaching, intern teaching, or past experience.
• Demonstrated content knowledge for subjects/levels being taught.
• Ability to effectively communicate with parents, students, and staff verbally and in writing.
• Commitment to collaboration and teaming.
• Ability to maintain acceptable student behavior.
• Ability to use appropriate assessment, instruction, and evaluation techniques.
• Ability to utilize effective practices to build a community of learners.
• Knowledge of child and adolescent development and ability to apply that knowledge to the selection and application of curriculum materials and instructional practices.
• Knowledge of skills and strategies necessary to meet the diverse needs of students.
• Knowledge and skill in culturally responsive teaching and learning.
• Knowledge of the relationships between teaching and learning.
• Skill and ability to utilize technology to aid instruction, assessment and learning.
• Commitment to participate in professional growth opportunities and reflection.
• Reliability in attendance, punctuality, and follow-through.
Please visit https://hookakoojobs.hrmplus.net to apply.