POSITION TITLE: Controller
DEPARTMENT: Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center (RJKCCC)
SUPERVISOR: Director of Business DB
GENERAL STATEMENT: The Salvation Army is a branch of the Christian Church, and the ultimate goal of all programs is a spiritual, emotional and physical regeneration of all people.
MISSION STATEMENT: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
KROC CENTER HAWAII VISION: Kroc Center Hawaii is a community center where families, individuals and relationships thrive in the name of Jesus.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Controller will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities. The Controller will lead all day-to-day finance operations including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, grants administration as well as supervise the accounting staff. The Controller will ensure the Kroc Center Hawaii has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The Controller will work closely with the Director of Business, Director of Operations, Director of Programs, Kroc Administrator and other program leaders and their staffs, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures, but also to explore how the Finance function can support program operations. The Controller will have a deep commitment to the mission of The Salvation Army which will be evident in his or her professional life and the manner in which he or she represents The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center in the community.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Minimum of a BA in Accounting.
2. 3 to 5 years of experience, beginning in accounting and audit, followed by experience gathering, evaluating, presenting, and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders.
3. Experience in a complex nonprofit or large church that has multiple programs.
4. Personal qualities of high integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to The Salvation Army’s mission as well as the vision of the Kroc Center.
5. A proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the Director of Business, Director of Operations and Kroc Administrator, the responsibility for finance.
6. Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable and general ledger.
7. A track record in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate, and foundation grants is essential.
8. Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
9. Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team; the foresight and ability to delegate accordingly.
10. Keen analytic, organization, and problem solving skills, which allows for strategic data interpretation vs. simple reporting.
11. Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data including presentations to senior management, Advisory Council, and DHQ.
12. Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers.
13. Able to occasionally work weekends/evening hours, and must have willingness and ability to travel.
14. Ability to effectively understand, reflect, communicate the Christian principles, mission, goals, and strengths of The Salvation Army and The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center.
15. Maintain a professional attitude and approach to problem solving.
16. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
17. Strong motivational and management skills.
18. Have valid driver’s license and insured transportation.
19. Must be at least 21 years old.
20. Certification by and participation in The Salvation Army’s Fleet Safety Program on an annual basis.
1. CPA and/or MBA preferred
2. Master of Business Administration
3. Seven to ten years of accounting and finance experience
1. Provide Finance and Accounting Leadership.
2. Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
3. Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
4. Coordinate all audit activity.
5. Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner.
6. Clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
7. Monitor financial statements, progress, and changes in the reports, as well as keep the Director of Business, Director of Operations and Kroc Administrator abreast of Kroc Center Hawaii’s financial status.
8. Coordinate the Kroc Center leadership team in the annual budgeting and planning process.
9. Administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain and correct variances as appropriate.
10. Support the Director of Business, Director of Operations, Administrator and Advisory Council in engaging finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
11. Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting: ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period.
12. Collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants.
13. Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with the Director of Business, Director of Operations, Administrator and Advisory Council.
14. Assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations.
15. Supervise accounting supervisor and clerks.
16. Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualified applicants may submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax (808-682-5501). Please include your name and the job title you are applying for on the subject line of your email.