FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 3, 2014
TRAFFIC ADVISORY: LANE CLOSURES
FOR HONOLULU RAIL TRANSIT PROJECT
The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) would like to inform drivers about lane closures next week related to design and construction work for the Honolulu rail transit project. Motorists are advised that work along the 20-mile rail route from East Kapolei to Ala Moana Center will require lane closures during non-peak traffic hours.
For the safety of both the work crews and motorists, the public is advised to proceed with caution through these areas. Drivers should anticipate possible traffic delays or use alternate routes during work hours, and provide a safe distance between their vehicles and workers and equipment:
West Oahu/Farrington Highway Section (East Kapolei to Waipahu)
Farrington Highway in Ewa between Kualakai Parkway (North-South Road) and Old Fort Weaver Road is closed in both directions until April for utility relocation and column work for the elevated rail guideway.
The 24/7 road closure allows work crews to safely relocate major utility lines along a narrow two-lane stretch of Farrington Highway, just west of the Kahi Mohala Behavioral Center. Following the utility relocation work, project contractor Kiewit will conduct shaft and column work as part of the planned rail guideway near that section of highway. Drivers traveling between East Kapolei and the Ewa/Waipahu region will still be able to use either the H-1 Freeway on the north end of Kualakai Parkway, or Kapolei Parkway on the south end. Motorists who routinely use Farrington Highway in Ewa should provide themselves extra time for their commute.
The inside east- and westbound lanes of Farrington Highway in Ewa just west of the Kunia Road overpass will be closed from Sunday, January 5 to Thursday, January 9 between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. for utility relocation work.
The westbound lanes of Farrington Highway in Waipahu between Leokane and Leoku streets will be closed from Sunday, January 5 to Thursday, January 9 between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. for utility relocation work. Drivers will be diverted to a temporary lane on the opposite side of Farrington Highway.
The Kamehameha Highway southbound off-ramp onto Farrington Highway inWaipahu will be closed for streetlight relocation work from Sunday, January 5 to Thursday, January 9 between 8 p.m. and 4 a.m.
The inside eastbound lane of Farrington Highway fronting Waipahu High School near Kahualii Street will be closed from Sunday, January 5 to Thursday, January 9 between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m.
Kamehameha Highway Section (Pearl City to Aloha Stadium)
The inside eastbound lane of Kamehameha Highway in Aiea between Hekaha and Kanuku streets and the eastbound left-turn lane at the intersection of Kamehameha Highway and Kanuku Street will be closed 24 hours a day, seven days a week until mid-March for drill shaft test work:
- One westbound lane of Kamehameha Highway will be closed during the day from Monday, January 6 to Friday, January 10 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Motorists are asked to drive carefully through the area and be aware of shifting traffic lanes as part of restriped lanes.
U-turns or left turns from the westbound direction of Kamehameha Highway into the Diamond Head-side entrance of the HECO Waiau power plant in Pearl City will be restricted. Drivers heading westbound on Kamehameha Highway can still turn left onto Puu Poni Street.
Airport Section (Aloha Stadium to Kalihi)
No weekly lane closures are scheduled along the airport section of the rail alignment.
City Center Section (Kalihi to Ala Moana Center)
Lane closures will take place in Kalihi at the following locations from Monday, January 6 to Thursday, January 9 between 8:30 p.m. and 4 a.m. for soil testing:
- Right eastbound lane of Kamehameha Highway between Middle Street and Laumaka Street
- Left lanes of Dillingham Boulevard in both the eastbound and westbound directions between Laumaka Street and Waiakamilo Road
- Right eastbound lane of Dillingham Boulevard betweenWaiakamilo Road and Kohou Street
- Left lanes of Dillingham Boulevard in both the eastbound and westbound directions between Kokea Street and North King Street
Lane closures will take place overnight in downtown Honolulu at the following location between Sunday, January 5 and Thursday, January 9 between 8:30 p.m. and 4 a.m. for utility survey work:
- Left lanes of Nimitz Highway in both the eastbound and westbound directions between Sumner Street and Richards Street
Lane closures will take place in Kaka`ako at the following locations from Monday, January 6 to Friday, January 10 between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for soil testing:
- Eastbound parking lane of Halekauwila Street between Punchbowl Street and South Street, and between Cooke Street and Ward Avenue
- Westbound parking lane of Halekauwila Street betweenWard Avenue and Ahui Street
- Right westbound parking lane of Halekauwila Street between Coral Street and South Street
Lane closures will take place in Kaka`ako at the following location from Monday, January 6 to Friday, January 10 between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. for soil testing:
- The eastbound parking and travel lanes of Halekauwila Street between Cooke Street and Ward Avenue
For updates on work days and times, visit the project website at www.honolulutransit.org or contact our hotline at 566-2299.