FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 10, 2014
TRAFFIC ADVISORY: LANE CLOSURES
FOR HONOLULU RAIL TRANSIT PROJECT
The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) would like to inform drivers about lane closures next week related to design and construction work for the Honolulu rail transit project. Motorists are advised that work along the 20-mile rail route from East Kapolei to Ala Moana Center will require lane closures during non-peak traffic hours.
For the safety of both the work crews and motorists, the public is advised to proceed with caution through these areas. Drivers should anticipate possible traffic delays or use alternate routes during work hours, and provide a safe distance between their vehicles and workers and equipment:
West Oahu/Farrington Highway Section (East Kapolei to Waipahu)
Farrington Highway in Ewa between Kualakai Parkway (North-South Road) and Old Fort Weaver Road is closed in both directions until April for utility relocation and column work for the elevated rail guideway.
The 24/7 road closure allows work crews to safely relocate major utility lines along a narrow two-lane stretch of Farrington Highway, just west of the Kahi Mohala Behavioral Center. Following the utility relocation work, project contractor Kiewit will conduct shaft and column work as part of the planned rail guideway near that
section of highway.
Drivers traveling between East Kapolei and the Ewa/Waipahu region will still be able to use either the H-1 Freeway on the north end of Kualakai Parkway, or Kapolei Parkway on the south end. Motorists who routinely use Farrington Highway in Ewa should provide themselves extra time for their commute.
The inside east- and westbound lanes of Farrington Highway in Ewa just west of the Kunia Road overpass will be closed from Sunday, January 12 to Thursday, January 16 between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. for utility and streetlight relocation work.
Lane closures will take place near the intersection of Farrington Highway and Leokane Street in Waipahu:
- The inside lanes of Farrington Highway will be closed in both directions from Sunday, January 12 to Tuesday, January 14 between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. for utility relocation work.
The westbound lanes of Farrington Highway between Leokane Street and Pupukahi Street will be closed from Wednesday, January 15 to Thursday, January 16 between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. for utility relocation work.
- One lane in each direction of Farrington Highway will be open at all times during the work.
The inside lanes of Farrington Highway fronting Waipahu High School near Kahualii Street will be closed from Sunday, January 12 to Thursday, January 16 between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m.
Kamehameha Highway Section (Pearl City to Aloha Stadium)
The inside eastbound lane of Kamehameha Highway in Aiea between Hekaha and Kanuku streets and the eastbound left-turn lane at the intersection of Kamehameha Highway and Kanuku Street will be closed 24 hours a day, seven days a week until mid-March for drill shaft test work:
- One westbound lane of Kamehameha Highway will also be closed from Sunday, January 12 to Saturday, January 18 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m., and between 7:30 p.m. and 5:30 a.m.
- Motorists are asked to drive carefully through the area and be aware of shifting traffic lanes as part of restriped lanes.
Two lanes of Kamehameha Highway in each direction in Pearl City near the HECO Waiau power will be closed from Monday, January 13 to Thursday, January 16 from 7:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. for equipment demobilization and transport.
Airport Section (Aloha Stadium to Kalihi)
No weekly lane closures are scheduled along the airport section of the rail alignment.
City Center Section (Kalihi to Ala Moana Center)
Lane closures will take place in Kalihi at the following locations from Monday, January 13 to Friday, January 17 between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for soil testing:
- Left eastbound lane of Kamehameha Highway between Middle Street and Laumaka Street
- Left lanes of Dillingham Boulevard in both the eastbound and westbound directions between Mokauea Street and McNeill Street
- Left eastbound lane of Dillingham Boulevard between Waiakamilo Road and Kohou Street
- Left lanes of Dillingham Boulevard in both the eastbound and westbound directions betweenWaiakamilo Road and Kaaahi Street
- Right eastbound lane of Kaaahi Street between Dillingham Boulevard and Kaaahi Place
Lane closures will take place overnight in downtown Honolulu along Nimitz Highway from Sunday, January 12 to Thursday, January 16 between 8:30 p.m. and 4 a.m. the next morning for utility survey work:
- Left lanes of Nimitz Highway in both the eastbound and westbound directions between Sumner Street and Richards Street
Lane closures will take place in Kaka`ako at the following locations from Monday, January 13 to Friday, January 17 between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for soil testing:
- Right eastbound parking lane of Halekauwila Street between Richards Street and Punchbowl Street, and between Cooke Street andWard Avenue
- Right westbound parking lane of Halekauwila Street betweenWard Avenue and Ahui Street
- Right westbound parking lane of Halekauwila Street between Coral Street and South Street
For updates on work days and times, visit the project website at www.honolulutransit.org or contact our hotline at 566-2299.