Waianae residents contacted Councilmember Pine’s office regarding much-needed repairs at Waianae District Park:
- Second floor activity rooms in gymnasium have been closed for a year
- Comfort station at the tennis court has been closed for over a year
- Roof is leaking at the entrance to the multipurpose room
- Water fountains don’t work
- Lights are malfunctioning
- Windows are in need of repair
- Shower building is unusable due to a leaky roof
- Ceiling tiles are missing
A ‘No Entry’ sign blocks off the entrance to the upstairs rooms at the Waianae District Park gymnasium. Picture courtesy of Don Hutton.
Leaky roof in the Waianae District Park gymnasium limits use of the park.
Councilmember Pine connected with Dexter Liu, Leeward Oahu District Manager of the Department of Parks & Recreation, who said his office is assessing these needed repairs and awaiting bids.
Regarding the gymnasium, the plan is to remove the existing drop ceiling. This will reopen the 2 rooms upstairs— often used for martial arts classes and exercise classes. This project is currently awaiting bids.
Councilmember Pine looks forward to receiving updates regarding the status of the reopening of the park’s multi-purpose rooms as well as repairs to the rest of the park.