DEPARTMENT: Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center (RJKCCC)
SUPERVISOR: Director of Personnel & Pastoral Care
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
GENERAL STATEMENT: The Salvation Army is a branch of the Christian Church, and the ultimate goal of all programs is a spiritual, emotional, and physical regeneration of all people.
MISSION STATEMENT: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
RJKCCC Mission: Save Souls, Grow Saints, Serve Suffering Humanity
RJKCCC Vision: The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center in Hawaii exists to Save Souls, Grow Saints and Serve Suffering Humanity by being a church that is:
— BIBLICALLY AUTHENTIC IN MOTIVE AND MISSION
— A RELEVANT AND VIBRANT EXPRESSION OF CHRISTIANITY
— CULTURALLY DIVERSE IN METHODS AND MINISTRY
— COMPASSIONATELY ACTIVE IN SERVING HUMANITY
RELIGIOUS SUMMARY: Although this position does not require or confer ordination, this is a “ministry position.” Only Christians with a demonstrated strong personal faith and agreement with the teaching of Holy Scripture as explained in The Salvation Army “Articles of War” and the “Handbook of Doctrine” will be considered for this position. Maintaining a lifestyle and witness consistent with the above stated documents is required for continued employment.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Youth Ministry Director has the responsibility to successfully lead all areas of the daily operations of the RJKCCC Youth Ministry Department, coordinating Youth Ministry and Christian Education Programs throughout the RJKCCC in an efficient and consistent manner. The Youth Ministry Director will have a deep commitment to the mission of The Salvation Army, which will be evident in his or her professional life and the manner in which he or she represents The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center in the community.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelors Degree in relevant field (e.g. theology, biblical studies, youth ministry, religious studies), or equivalent experience, and 2+ years of related experience in church leadership as a youth leader.
2. Ability to effectively understand, reflect and communicate the Christian principles, mission, goals, and strengths of The Salvation Army and The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center.
3. Must live a life of integrity and practice in their own life the spiritual principles and behavior they advocate to youth.
4. Must have a genuine holistic concern for youth including their spiritual, emotional, social, intellectual, and physical well-being.
5. Have the ability to work with children, youth, parents, and staff in a capacity of leadership, counseling and education, including but not limited to:
a. Ability to relate joyfully and sensitively to children of all ages.
b. Able to authentically connect relationally with youth.
c. Sensitivity to the individual needs of youth.
d. Ability to use appropriate positive discipline consistently.
e. Dependability, including maintaining regular and punctual work attendance.
f. Ability to handle security and crisis situations, calmly.
g. Ability to seek mentoring relationships and use it consistently.
h. Ability to supervise staff and participants of varying education and cultures.
6. Ability to plan, implement and evaluate outreach programs that will be used to draw youth to Jesus and consider The Salvation Army as a church home.
7. Must be able to keep work area organized, have good time management skills and be able to complete necessary reports in a timely manner.
8. Has excellent oral and written communication skills, and can comfortably speak in public and in small group settings.
9. Must be able to effectively study the Bible and be prepared to preach, teach and counsel from it.
10. Ability to work independently or with other staff members.
11. Is able to recruit, coordinate, and work with a team of volunteers.
12. Is multi-media savvy and has good working knowledge of computer programs including Word, Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint.
13. Retains a valid driver’s license, be able to drive Salvation Army vehicles (including a 15 passenger van) and pass all necessary background checks.
14. Certification by and participation in The Salvation Army’s Fleet Safety Program on an annual basis.
At least 21 years old.
Active uniform wearing Salvationist in good standing.
Experience with planning, implementing, and leading programs at the Corps and Divisional level.
Familiarity with traditional Salvation Army programs at the Corps and Divisional level.
Familiarity with Hawaii and local culture.
1. Direct all Youth Ministry functions under the direction of the Director of Personnel & Pastoral Care, which includes but is not limited to:
a. Overall leadership to youth weekend services, including planning and implementing, promoting attendance and recruiting and training volunteers and teachers.
b. Overall leadership to youth programs, including but not limited to:
i. Sunday School
ii. Bible Studies, Young Adult Bible Study
iii. Junior Soldiers, Corps Cadets
iv. Soldier Prep, Troops
v. Young Adult Ministry and Activities
vi. Community Care Ministry
vii. Community Choir, Youth Community Choir
viii. Junior Praise and Worship Team
ix. Develop VBS Teams and Ministry Teams for Day Camp Ministry Assistance and Leadership Training
x. Bible Bowl
xi. Junior Church
xii. Midweek Service
xiii. After School Programs
xiv. Special Events
c. Develop, organize, promote, coordinate, and lead a balanced program of youth fellowship, discipleship and spiritual development activities, including seeking grants, recruiting volunteers and working with nearby schools.
d. Develop relationships with families in the community and in the Corps, encouraging participation in Corps youth programs and events.
2. Organize the above-mentioned ministries; ensuring leaders, staff and volunteers have the necessary training, resources, authority, and confidence to have a highly effective and fruitful Youth Ministry Department.
3. Guide and teach youth according to biblical standards.
4. Train and involve youth and youth leaders in outreach programs to reach unchurched youth.
5. Involve youth in ministry and mission projects.
6. Be available to parents/guardians to discuss issues related to their child and/or youth ministry.
7. Support youth in their school setting, including attending their extra-curricular activities, and creatively spending time in their world.
8. Be aware of, implement and ensure volunteers are trained in Protecting the Mission and Sacred Boundary training.
9. Provide opportunities for coordination, encouragement, training and recognition of all volunteer youth leaders.
10. Coordinate efforts with existing programs for creative worship participation in the life of Salvation Army worship. (Our aim is to incorporate the creative performing arts offered at the RJKCCC Center in our worship services, thereby bridging the gap to program participants and their families, as well as inspiring corps members.)
11. Clearly communicate needs for volunteers from the public to the Volunteer Coordinator via the Corps Officer and Director of Personnel & Pastoral Care.
12. Attend, promote and assist with Divisional and Territorial youth events as directed.
13. Direct, coordinate and/or assist in fundraising activities for TSA summer camps, RJKCCC day camps and interim day camps.
14. Compile all necessary statistics for programs on a monthly basis.
15. Prepare and manage the annual budget of the Youth Ministry Department.
16. Follow and ensure adherence to The Salvation Army policies and procedures.
17. Assist with program/event transportation as needed.
18. Lead or assist in church member and non-church member visitation.
19. Participate in church retreat, church plant, and/or church vision sessions.
20. Assist the Director of Personnel & Pastoral Care in all duties as needed.
21. Keep the office area clean, presentable, and professional, including program vehicles.
22. Attend various meetings at various times and locations.
1. Perform other duties as assigned.
2. Direct, coordinate and/or assist in the annual Christmas Campaign, Red Kettle Campaign, and other special fundraising or program events during Christmas Season.
3. Direct youth involvement and cultivation during these seasonal campaigns.
4. Ensure mission and ministry goals are being met through these seasonal campaigns.
Qualified applicants may submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com or fax (808-682-5501). Please include your name and the job title you are applying for on the subject line of your email.