FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Department of Emergency Management
City and County of Honolulu
Monday, July 29, 2013
Evacuation shelters on Oahu to open at 3:00 p.m.
Ten tropical storm evacuation shelters will open on Oahu at 3:00 p.m. this afternoon. Residents who feel that their home or place of residence may not be safe can utilize one of these locations as a refuge from severe weather and high surf.
These shelters, operated by the American Red Cross, provide only emergency refuge. You must bring all of your supplies with you including food, water, other emergency needs as well as bedding or a cot to sleep on. For the safety and security of evacuees Red Cross shelters do not allow smoking, guns, drugs, alcohol or other hazardous items.
Those on medication should bring a 7-10 day supply of medication. Diabetics should bring their medication and glucometers. Those with respiratory issues should bring inhalers and nebulizers. As with all other evacuees, those on special diets should bring their own food.
In addition these shelters will accommodate pets. Pet owners must provide a solid sided pet carrier or cage for each pet, food, water and sanitation supplies. In addition owners will be expected to assist in the care of their pets.
The following are the Oahu evacuation shelters that will open at 3:00 p.m.
Facility, STREET, ADDRESS, CITY, ZIP CODE
- Waianae District Park, 85-601 Farrington Hwy, Waianae 96792
- Wahiawa District Park, 1139-A Kilani Avenue, Wahiawa 96786
- Ewa Mahiko District Park, 91-1161 Renton Road, Ewa Beach 96706
- Kailua District Park, 21 South Kainalu Drive, Kailua 96734
- Kilauea District Park, 4109 Kilauea Avenue, Honolulu 96816
- Koko Head District Park, 423 Kaumakani Street, Honolulu 96825
- Waimanalo District Park, 41-415 Hihimanu Street, Waimanalo 96795
- Waialua Church of Christ, 67-174 Farrington Hwy, Waialua 96791
- BYU Hawaii, 55-220 Kulanui St, Laie 96762
- Kalakaua District Park, 720 McNeill Street, Honolulu 96817
Evacuation shelters located in our Council district in bold.
On the World Wide Web: www.oahudem.org
On Facebook: www.facebook.com/OahuDEM
On Twitter: www.twitter.com/Oahu_DEM
Sign up for free alerts to your cell phone and / or email account at www.nixle.com/dem, provided by the City & County of Honolulu