• Analyzes class, grade level, and subject area data in school’s literacy program and reports findings for the purpose of sharing information with teachers.
• Making informed decisions relative to instructional practices and the use of a school-wide assessment system for monitoring student achievement.
• Assesses skills and needs (both initially and ongoing) of teachers for the purpose of determining the kinds of professional development and strategies needed to bring about student achievement and gains in reading.
• Demonstrates exemplary classroom literacy practice and possesses a deep understanding of literacy theory for the purpose of modelling best practices in literacy and improving student achievement levels.
• Evaluates student achievement for the purpose of placing students in appropriate intervention and support services.
• Leads and participates in on-going and job-embedded professional development (e.g. staff meetings; study groups, demonstration lessons with pre- and post-discussion analysis; workshops; trainings; and seminars) for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information related to literacy (including reading in content areas, reading and writing skills, pedagogy, coaching and interpretation of assessment results.
• Maintains a variety of manual and electronic files and/or records for the purpose of determining success of literacy coaching on student achievement and evaluating effectiveness of the overall literacy program.
• Mentors, Observes and coaches classroom teachers for the purpose of improving literacy instruction and promoting a school-based professional learning community.
• Prepares a variety of written materials (e.g. lesson plans, scope and sequence guides, classroom materials, reports, etc.) for the purpose of demonstrating best practices in literacy instruction, documenting activities, providing written reference, and/or conveying information.
• Prepares lesson plans, in collaboration with teachers, related to literacy at the elementary, middle school, and high school level for the purpose of differentiating instruction and adhering to the common core state standards.
• Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• SKILLS are required to perform multiple, technical tasks with a need to periodically upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: applying assessment instruments; operating standard office equipment; planning and managing projects; and using pertinent software applications.
• KNOWLEDGE is to compose a variety of documents, and/or facilitate group discussions; and analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: lesson planning; instructional materials; and community resources.
• ABILITY is required to schedule a significant number of activities, meetings, and/or events; collate data; and use basic, job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to independently work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using defined methods. Ability is also required to work with a significant diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with a variety of data; and utilize job-related equipment. Independent problem solving is required to analyze issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data frequently requires independent interpretation of guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adapting to changing work priorities; communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; setting priorities; and promoting services within community.
• Responsibilities include: working under limited supervision following standardized practices and/or methods; leading, guiding, and/or coordinating others; and operating within a defined budget. Utilization of some resources from other work units is often required to perform the job’s functions.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Master’s degree preferred.
• Job related experience (teaching experience) is required.
• Current Hawaii Teacher License or reciprocity from another state.
Please visit https://hookakoojobs.hrmplus.net to apply.