FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 27, 2013
TRAFFIC ADVISORY: LANE CLOSURES
FOR HONOLULU RAIL TRANSIT PROJECT
The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) wants to inform drivers of lane closures next week related to construction and design work for the Honolulu rail transit project. Motorists are advised of work along the 20-mile rail route from East Kapolei to Ala Moana Center that will require lane closures during non-peak traffic hours.
For the safety of both the work crews and motorists, the public is advised to proceed with caution through these areas. Drivers should anticipate possible traffic delays or use alternate routes during work hours, and provide a safe distance between themselves and the workers and equipment:
West Oahu/Farrington Highway Section (East Kapolei toWaipahu)
Farrington Highway in Ewa between Kualakai Parkway (North-South Road) and Old Fort Weaver Road Loop will be closed through March 2014 as part of construction. The closure is needed to allow workers to safely relocate a major utility line located in the middle of the narrow two-lane highway (see related detour map below).
Traffic in both directions of Farrington Highway will be detoured to either the H-1 Freeway or other nearby roadways:
- Drivers will still be able to travel between East Kapolei and the Ewa/Waipahu region by using either Kapolei Parkway or Geiger Road on the south end of Kualakai Parkway, or the H-1 Freeway on the north end.
- The public will be able to access the Aloun Farms pumpkin patch during the last three weekends of October via Farrington Highway through Kualakai Parkway.
Daytime east- and west-bound lane closures will take place along Farrington Highway in Waipahu from Monday, September 30 to Friday, October 4 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. at the following locations:
- Between Kahualii Street andWaiawa Road
- Maintenance crews will work along various sections of Farrington Highway in Waipahu. During the work, the contractor’s vehicles may be temporarily parked in the highway lanes, causing a slight slowdown in traffic flow.
Nighttime east- and west-bound lane closures in the Ewa and Waipahu area will take place from Sunday, September 29 to Thursday, October 3 between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. for utility relocation work:
- Farrington Highway between Old FortWeaver Road and Leoku Street
- Farrington Highway between Mokuola Street and Kahualii Street
- Waipahu Street betweenWaipahu Depot Road and Kahuanui Street
- One lane in each direction of Farrington Highway in Waipahu will remain open at all times during the utility relocation work.
Kamehameha Highway Section (Pearl City to Aloha Stadium)
Daytime closures will take place from Monday, September 30 to Friday, October 4 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. at the following location for maintenance work:
- Inside lane of the H-1/Moanalua Freeway On-Ramp along Kamehameha Highway near Aloha Stadium
Airport Section (Aloha Stadiumto Kalihi)
Lane closures will take place in the Pearl Harbor area from Monday, September 30 to Friday, October 4 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. at the following locations:
- The left east-bound lane of Kamehameha Highway near the H-1 Freeway and Makai Frontage Road
- The right west-bound lane of Kamehameha Highway near Halawa Drive
City Center Section (Kalihi to Ala Moana Center)
Lane closures will take place in the Kalihi area from Monday, September 30 to Friday, October 4 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. at the following location:
- The left west-bound lane of Kamehameha Highway near Nimitz Highway
For updates on work days and times, visit the project website at www.honolulutransit.org or contact our hotline at 566-2299.
# # #
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!