FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 13, 2013
TRAFFIC ADVISORY: LANE CLOSURES
FOR HONOLULU RAIL TRANSIT PROJECT
The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) wants to inform drivers of lane closures next week related to design and construction work for the Honolulu rail transit project. Motorists are advised of work along the 20-mile rail route from East Kapolei to Ala Moana Center that will require lane closures during non-peak traffic hours.
For the safety of both the work crews and motorists, the public is advised to proceed with caution through these areas. Drivers should anticipate possible traffic delays or use alternate routes during work hours, and provide a safe distance between themselves and the workers and equipment:
West Oahu/Farrington Highway Section (East Kapolei to Waipahu)
Farrington Highway in Ewa between Kualakai Parkway (North-South Road) and Old Fort Weaver Road is closed in both directions until April of next year for utility relocation and column work as part of the elevated rail guideway.
The 24/7 road closure allows work crews to safely relocate major utility lines along a narrow two-lane stretch of Farrington Highway, just west of the Kahi Mohala Behavioral Center. Following the utility relocation work, project contractor Kiewit will conduct shaft and column work as part of the planned rail guideway near that section of highway.
Drivers traveling between East Kapolei and the Ewa/Waipahu region will still be able to access either side by using either the H-1 Freeway on the north end of Kualakai Parkway, or Kapolei Parkway on the south end. Motorists who routinely use Farrington Highway in Ewa should provide themselves extra time for their commute.
The eastbound lanes of Farrington Highway near Kahualii Street in Waipahu will be closed from 7 p.m. Sunday, December 15 to 6 a.m. Monday, December 16 for street light relocation work:
- • Eastbound drivers during the work will be diverted to temporary lanes on Farrington Highway
The inside lanes of Farrington Highway in both directions near Kahualii Street in Waipahu will be closed from Monday, December 16 to Thursday, December 19 between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. for street light relocation work.
The following lanes along Farrington Highway near Leoku Street will be closed from Sunday, December 15 to Thursday, December 19 between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. for utility relocation work:
- The inside lanes of Farrington Highway in both eastbound and westbound directions near the intersection of Leoku Street
- The two eastbound left-turn lanes along Farrington Highway at the intersection of Leoku Street
Kamehameha Highway Section (Pearl City to Aloha Stadium)>
The inside eastbound lane of Kamehameha Highway in Pearl City between Kuleana Road and the HECO-Waiau power plant will be closed 24 hours a day, seven days a week until mid-January as part of utility relocation and drill shaft test work:
- One westbound lane of Kamehameha Highway will be closed from Sunday, December 15 to Saturday, December 21 between 10 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. for concrete work. During the concrete pour, U-turns and left turns will be restricted at the intersection of Kamehameha Highway and Kuleana Road.
- Two westbound and two eastbound lanes of Kamehameha Highway in the area will remain open from Monday, December 16 to Friday, December 20 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Left turns from Kamehameha Highway into the Diamond Head-side entrance of the HECO Waiau power plant will be restricted. Drivers can turn left at Puu Poni Street.
The inside eastbound lane of Kamehameha Highway between Hekaha Street and Kanuku Street and left turn from Kamehameha Highway onto Kanuku St will be closed 24 hours a day, seven days a week until mid-January as part of drill shaft test work:
- One westbound lane of Kamehameha Highway will also be closed during the day from Monday, December 16 to Friday, December 20 from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Two westbound lanes and an additional eastbound lane will be closed during the evening from Sunday, December 15 to Thursday, December 19. The eastbound lanes will be closed from 7:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. and the westbound lanes will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- The westbound left-turn lane from Kamehameha Highway into Best Buy will be temporarily closed overnight from Sunday, December 15 to Thursday, December 19 between 10 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. to transport heavy equipment.
Daytime lane closures will take place next week near Aloha Stadium at the following location from Monday, December 16 to Friday, December 20 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. for test shaft work:
- Inside lane of the H-1/Moanalua Freeway on-ramp along Kamehameha Highway near Aloha Stadium
- The H-1/Moanalua Freeway on-ramp will be closed overnight from Sunday, December 15 to Thursday, December 19 to transport heavy equipment. The freeway ramp closure will begin each night at 7:30 p.m. and run until 5:30 a.m. the next morning. Drivers will be detoured to Pearl Ridge or Moanalua Road during the ramp closure.
Airport Section (Aloha Stadium to Kalihi)
No weekly lane closures scheduled along the airport section of the rail alignment.
City Center Section (Kalihi to Ala Moana Center)
Lane closures will take place in Kalihi at the following location from Monday, December 16 to Friday, December 20 between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for soil testing:
- Right eastbound lane of Kaaahi Street between Dillingham Boulevard and Kaaahi Place
Lane closures will take place in Kaka`ako at the following locations from Monday, December 16 to Friday, December 20 between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for soil testing:
- Eastbound parking lane of Halekauwila Street between Punchbowl Street and Keawe Street
- Westbound parking lane of Halekauwila Street between Keawe Street and South Street
For updates on work days and times, visit the project website at www.honolulutransit.org or contact our hotline at 566-2299.