FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 14, 2014
TRAFFIC ADVISORY: LANE CLOSURES
FOR HONOLULU RAIL TRANSIT PROJECT
The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) would like to inform drivers about lane closures next week related to design and construction work for the Honolulu rail transit project. Motorists are advised that work along the 20-mile rail route from East Kapolei to Ala Moana Center will require lane closures during non-peak traffic hours.
For the safety of both the work crews and motorists, the public is advised to proceed with caution through these areas. Drivers should anticipate possible traffic delays or use alternate routes during work hours, and provide a safe distance between their vehicles and workers and equipment:
Farrington Highway between Kualakai Parkway (North-South Road) and Old Fort Weaver Road is closed in both directions until April for utility relocation and column work for the elevated rail guideway. The 24/7 road closure allows work crews to safely relocate major utility lines along a narrow two-lane stretch of Farrington Highway, just west of the Kahi Mohala Behavioral Center. Drivers traveling between East Kapolei and the Ewa/Waipahu region will still be able to use either the H-1 Freeway on the north end of Kualakai Parkway, or Kapolei Parkway on the south end.
Various lane closures will take place in Ewa andWaipahu near the Kunia Road overpass:
- The outside eastbound lane of Farrington Highway between the Fort Weaver Road overpass and Leoku Street will be closed overnight from Sunday, February 16 to Thursday, February 20 between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- The inside east and westbound lanes of Farrington Highway west of the Kunia Road overpass will be closed from Sunday, February 16 to Thursday, February 20 between 7 p.m. and 3 p.m. the following afternoon.
Overnight lane closures will take place along Kamehameha Highway between Waimano Home Road and Kuala Street from Monday, February 17 to Friday, February 21 between 7:30 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. for utility relocation work:
- Two westbound lanes and one eastbound lane of Kamehameha Highway, including the left-turn lane into Home Depot, will be closed during those hours.
- The intersection of Kamehameha Highway and Acacia Road will also be closed at 9 p.m. each weeknight and reopened at 5:30 a.m. the following morning.
Overnight lane closures will take place along Kamehameha Highway between Kuleana Road and Puu Poni Street near the HECO-Waiau power plant from Monday, February 17 to Friday, February 21 between 8 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. for utility relocation work:
- Only one westbound lane of Kamehameha Highway will be open during these hours. Westbound traffic will also be diverted to a temporary lane along Kamehameha Highway during the closure.
- Eastbound and westbound left turns from Kamehameha Highway at the intersection of Kuleana Road, along with U-turns, will also be restricted 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Lane closures will take place along Kamehameha Highway between Hekaha and Kanuku streets near Best Buy for drill shaft test work:
- The inside eastbound lane of Kamehameha Highway between Hekaha and Kanuku streets will be closed 24 hours a day, seven days a week until mid-March.
The inside east and westbound lanes of Kamehameha Highway between Lipoa Place and Pali Momi Street near Pearl Kai Shopping Center will be closed from Monday, February 17 to Friday, February 21 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. for soil testing:
- One of the two left-turn lanes from Kamehameha Highway onto Pali Momi Street will also be closed during those hours.
Lane closures will take place at the following location from Tuesday, February 18 to Friday, February 21 between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for soil testing:
- Right westbound lane of Kamehameha Highway between Radford Drive and Halawa Drive
Lane closures will take place at the following locations next week for soil testing and trenching work:
- Left lanes of Dillingham Boulevard in both the eastbound and westbound directions between Laumaka Street and Kalihi Street from Tuesday, February 18 to Friday, February 21 between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- Northbound lane of Iwilei Road between Sumner Street and North King Street on Thursday, February 20 and Friday, February 21 between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Overnight lane closures will take place at the following location from Sunday, February 16 to Thursday, February 20 between 8:30 p.m. and 4 a.m. for soil testing:
- Left lanes of Nimitz Highway in both eastbound and westbound directions between River Street and Punchbowl Street
Lane closures will take place at the following location on Tuesday, February 18 and Wednesday, February 19 between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. for trenching work:
- Ewa-bound left lane of Nimitz Highway between River Street and Sumner Street.
For updates on work days and times, visit the project website at www.honolulutransit.org or contact our hotline at 566-2299.