FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 4, 2013
TRAFFIC ADVISORY: EAST-BOUND DIRECTION OF FARRINGTON HIGHWAY IN EWA TO TEMPORARILY REOPEN
The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) wants to inform drivers of lane closures next week related to construction and design work for the Honolulu rail transit project. Motorists are advised of work along the 20-mile rail route from East Kapolei to Ala Moana Center that will require lane closures during non-peak traffic hours.
For the safety of both the work crews and motorists, the public is advised to proceed with caution through these areas. Drivers should anticipate possible traffic delays or use alternate routes during work hours, and provide a safe distance between themselves and the workers and equipment:
West Oahu/Farrington Highway Section (East Kapolei to Waipahu)
Farrington Highway in Ewa between Kualakai Parkway (North-South Road) and Old Fort Weaver Road Loop will be closed in the west-bound direction as part of rail construction. The closure is needed to allow workers to safely relocate a major utility line located along the narrow two-lane highway.
- Drivers will still be able to travel west-bound between the Ewa/Waipahu region and East Kapolei by using either Kapolei Parkway or the H-1 Freeway.
- The public will also be able to access the Aloun Farms pumpkin patch during the last three weekends of October via Farrington Highway through Kualakai Parkway.
Motorists will be able to travel along that section of Farrington Highway in the eastbound direction, and will be detoured onto the Old Fort Weaver Road intersection near the Kahi Mohala Behavioral Center.
Following the utility relocation work, the contractor is scheduled to re-close that section of Farrington Highway in both directions later this year for drill shaft and column construction as part of the planned rail guideway.
Daytime east- and west-bound lane closures will take place along Farrington Highway in Waipahu from Monday, October 7 to Friday, October 11 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. at the following locations:
- Between Kahualii Street and Waiawa Road
- Maintenance crews will work along various sections of Farrington Highway in Waipahu. During the work, the contractor’s vehicles may be temporarily parked in the highway lanes, causing a slight slowdown in traffic flow.
Nighttime east- and west-bound lane closures in the Ewa and Waipahu area will take place from Sunday, October 6 to Thursday, October 10 between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. at the following locations for utility relocation work:
- Farrington Highway between Old Fort Weaver Road and Leoku Street
- Farrington Highway between Mokuola Street and Kahualii Street
- One lane in each direction of Farrington Highway in Waipahu will remain open at all
times during the utility relocation work.
- Waipahu Street between Waipahu Depot Road and Kahuanui Street
Kamehameha Highway Section (Pearl City to Aloha Stadium)
Daytime closures will take place from Monday, October 7 to Friday, October 11 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. at the following location for maintenance work:
- Inside lane of the H-1/Moanalua Freeway On-Ramp along Kamehameha Highway near Aloha Stadium
Airport Section (Aloha Stadiumto Kalihi)
Lane closures will take place in the Pearl Harbor and airport areas from Monday, October 7 to Friday, October 11 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. in the west-bound direction at the following locations:
- The right lane of Kamehameha Highway near Halawa Drive
- The left lane of Kamehameha Highway near Nimitz Highway
- The left lane of Kamehameha Highway near H-1 to Nimitz Highway
City Center Section (Kalihi to Ala Moana Center)
Moving lane closures will take place along Nimitz Highway in both directions between River Street and Richards Street on Thursday, October 10 and Friday, October 11, between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. as part of survey work.
For updates on work days and times, visit the project website at www.honolulutransit.org or contact our hotline at 566-2299.