FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 1, 2013
TRAFFIC ADVISORY: LANE CLOSURES
FOR HONOLULU RAIL TRANSIT PROJECT
The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) wants to inform drivers of lane closures next week related to design and construction work for the Honolulu rail transit project. Motorists are advised of work along the 20-mile rail route from East Kapolei to Ala Moana Center that will require lane closures during non-peak traffic hours.
For the safety of both the work crews and motorists, the public is advised to proceed with caution through these areas. Drivers should anticipate possible traffic delays or use alternate routes during work hours, and provide a safe distance between themselves and the workers and equipment:
West Oahu/Farrington Highway Section (East Kapolei to Waipahu)
Farrington Highway in Ewa between Kualakai Parkway (North-South Road) and Old Fort Weaver Road Loop is closed in the westbound direction as part of rail construction. The closure is needed to allow workers to safely relocate major utility lines located along the narrow two-lane highway:
- Drivers will still be able to travel westbound between the Ewa/Waipahu and East Kapolei regions by using either Kapolei Parkway or the H-1 Freeway.
Motorists will still be able to travel eastbound along that section of Farrington Highway, and will be detoured onto the Old Fort Weaver Road intersection near the Kahi Mohala Behavioral Center. Following the utility relocation work, the contractor is scheduled to re-close that section of Farrington Highway in both directions later this year for column construction as part of the planned rail guideway.
Daytime east- and westbound lane closures will take place along Farrington Highway in Waipahu at the following locations from Monday, November 11 to Friday, November 15 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m.:
- Between Kahualii Street andWaiawa Road for utility relocation work
- Maintenance crews will also work along various sections of Farrington Highway in Waipahu. During the work, the contractor’s vehicles may be temporarily parked in the highway lanes, causing a slight slowdown in traffic flow.
Nighttime east- and westbound lane closures will take place along Farrington Highway in Ewa and Waipahu at the following locations from Sunday, November 10 to Thursday, November 14 between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. for utility location and relocation work:
- Between Old Fort Weaver Road and Mokuola Street
- One lane in each direction of Farrington Highway inWaipahu will remain open at all times during the utility work
Daytime lane closures will take place in Kapolei from Monday, November 11 to Friday, November 15 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. for utility work:
- The right southbound lane of Kalaeloa Boulevard near Opakapaka Street
Kamehameha Highway Section (Pearl City to Aloha Stadium)
The left eastbound lane of Kamehameha Highway in Pearl City between Kuleana Road and the HECO-Waiau power plant will be closed until mid-December as part of utility relocation and drill shaft test work:
- All three westbound lanes of Kamehameha Highway in the area will remain open during the test shaft work.
- Left turns from Kamehameha Highway into the Diamond Head-side entrance of the HECO Waiau power plant will be restricted.
Nighttime lane closures will take place next week in Pearl City along Kamehameha Highway between Hekaha Street and Kanuku Street (near Best Buy) from Sunday, November 10 to Thursday, November 14 between 7:30 p.m. and 7 a.m. for utility relocation work:
- Crews will close the eastbound lanes of Kamehameha Highway between 7:30 p.m. and 5:30 a.m., and the westbound lanes between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- Drivers heading eastbound along Kamehameha Highway will not be allowed to turn left onto Kanuku Street or make U-turns
Daytime lane closures will take place next week near Aloha Stadium at the following location from Monday, November 11 to Friday, November 15 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. for test shaft work:
- Inside lane of the H-1/Moanalua Freeway on-ramp along Kamehameha Highway near Aloha Stadium
Airport Section (Aloha Stadium to Kalihi)
Lane closures will take place in the airport area at the following location in the eastbound direction from Tuesday, November 12 to Friday, November 15 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. for soil testing:
- Right lane of Kamehameha Highway near Middle Street
City Center Section (Kalihi to Ala Moana Center)
Lane closures will take place in Kalihi at the following locations from Tuesday, November 12 to Friday, November 15 between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for soil testing:
- Left lanes of Dillingham Boulevard in both east- and westbound directions between Puuhale Road and Mokauea Street
- Left lanes of Dillingham Boulevard in both east- and westbound directions between Kalihi Street and Colburn Street near the Kapalama Canal
- Left lanes of Dillingham Boulevard in both east- and westbound directions between the Kapalama Canal and Kaaahi Street
- Westbound left-turn lane on Dillingham Blvd. (into the Costco parking lot) between Kaaahi Street and Alakawa Street
Lane closures will take place overnight in downtown Honolulu at the following locations from Tuesday, November 12 to Sunday, November 17 between 8:30 p.m. and 4 a.m. for utility survey work:
- Left lanes of Nimitz Highway in both east- and westbound directions near Iwilei Road to Richards Street
For updates on work days and times, visit the project website at www.honolulutransit.org or contact our hotline at 566-2299.