FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 29, 2013
TRAFFIC ADVISORY: LANE CLOSURES
FOR HONOLULU RAIL TRANSIT PROJECT
The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) wants to inform drivers of lane closures next week related to design and construction work for the Honolulu rail transit project. Motorists are advised of work along the 20-mile rail route from East Kapolei to Ala Moana Center that will require lane closures during non-peak traffic hours.
For the safety of both the work crews and motorists, the public is advised to proceed with caution through these areas. Drivers should anticipate possible traffic delays or use alternate routes during work hours, and provide a safe distance between themselves and the workers and equipment:
West Oahu/Farrington Highway Section (East Kapolei to Waipahu)
The 24/7 road closure allows work crews to safely relocate major utility lines along a narrow two-lane stretch of Farrington Highway, just west of the Kahi Mohala Behavioral Center. Following the utility relocation work, project contractor Kiewit will conduct shaft and column work as part of the planned rail guideway near that section of highway.
Drivers traveling between East Kapolei and the Ewa/Waipahu region will still be able to access either side by using either the H-1 Freeway on the north end of Kualakai Parkway, or Kapolei Parkway on the south end. Motorists who routinely use Farrington Highway in Ewa should provide themselves extra time for their commute.
The inside lanes of Farrington Highway in Ewa andWaipahu will be closed in both directions at the following locations from Sunday, December 1 to Thursday, December 5 between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. for utility location and relocation work:
- Between Old FortWeaver Road and Leoku Street
- Between Leoku Street and Leokane Street
- One lane in each direction of Farrington Highway will remain open at all times during the utility work.
The westbound lanes of Farrington Highway in Waipahu fronting Waipahu High School near Kahualii Street will be closed from Tuesday, December 3 to Thursday, December 5 between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. for utility work:
- Drivers traveling westbound along Farrington Highway during those hours will be contra-flowed onto temporary lanes
Kamehameha Highway Section (Pearl City to Aloha Stadium)>
The inside lanes of Kamehameha Highway in Pearl City between Kuleana Road and the HECO-Waiau power plant will be closed in both directions until mid-January as part of utility relocation and drill shaft test work:
- Two westbound and eastbound lanes of Kamehameha Highway in the area will remain open to traffic during the test shaft work.
- An additional westbound lane of Kamehameha Highway will be closed overnight starting at 10 p.m. Tuesday, December 3, for concrete work.
- Left turns from Kamehameha Highway into the Diamond Head-end entrance of the HECO Waiau power plant will be restricted.
The inside lanes of Kamehameha Highway in Pearl City between Hekaha Street and Kanuku Street will be closed in both directions until mid-January as part of drill shaft test work:
- Drivers heading eastbound along Kamehameha Highway will not be allowed to turn left onto Kanuku Street or make U-turns
- Additional overnight lane closures will take place along Kamehameha Highway for restriping work from Sunday, December 1 to Thursday, December 5. Eastbound lane closures will start at 7:30 p.m. and westbound lane closures at 10 p.m. One lane of Kamehameha Highway will be open in each direction during the restriping work. Lanes will be reopened by 5:30 a.m. the next morning.
Daytime lane closures will take place next week near Aloha Stadium at the following location from Monday, December 2 to Friday, December 6 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. for test shaft work:
- Inside lane of the H-1/Moanalua Freeway on-ramp along Kamehameha Highway near Aloha Stadium.
- Crews will also work in the area during the evening ofWednesday, December 4 through Thursday, December 5 as part of test shaft work.
Airport Section (Aloha Stadium to Kalihi)
Lane closures will take place in the airport area at the following location from Monday, December 2 to Friday, December 6 between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. for soil testing:
- Right eastbound lane of Kamehameha Highway from Keehi Lagoon Beach Park entrance to near Middle Street
City Center Section (Kalihi to Ala Moana Center)
Lane closures will take place in Kalihi at the following locations from Monday, December 2 to Friday, December 6 between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for soil testing:
- Left eastbound lanes of Dillingham Boulevard between Kalihi Street and Waiakamilo Road
- Left eastbound lanes of Dillingham Boulevard between Alakawa Street and Kaaahi Street
- Left westbound lanes of Dillingham Boulevard between Kohou Street and Waiakamilo Road
- Right eastbound lanes of Kaaahi Street between Dillingham Boulevard and Kaaahi Place
Lane closures will take place in Kaka`ako at the following locations from Monday, December 2 to Friday, December 6 between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for soil testing:
- Right eastbound lane of Halekauwila Street between Punchbowl Street and Keawe Street
- Right westbound lane of Halekauwila Street between Coral Street and South Street
For updates on work days and times, visit the project website at www.honolulutransit.org or contact our hotline at 566-2299.